Sunday, August 30, 2015

Hinduism and Mormonism - We are not all that Different

This afternoon, I took a walk around the business park where I am staying/working. One of the things that has caught my eye is the Hindu Temple right across from my office. I decided to take the time to walk over there. At home, I often find myself sitting outside of LDS temples on Sunday afternoons, and the experience today was no different. The religious prevelance in India is amazing, something I wish we could have more of in the US. 

Religion has been a big part of the last month since I have been in India. India is a highly religious country, with approximately 80% being Hindu. Through conversations, observations, a some research, I have found many similarities between Hinduism and my own religious beliefs as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I have noticed a few specific areas where Hindus and Mormons have many similarities. 

God

Many think of Hinduism as a polytheistic religion. This is not actually the case. Hindus believe in a single diety called Brahman. Brahman can manifest itself in a countless number of ways, according to the needs and desires of the individual worshipper. While Latter Day Saints do not believe in multiple physical forms of God, we do believe that God is omniscient. We believe that God knows the needs and desires of everyone and that He is ever present in our lives. 

Traditions/Way of Life

Hindus and Mormons both strive to live very clean and pure lives. Hinduism can be categorized as not just a religion, but a way of life. Everything that a Hindu does is taken into account throughout and after this life. Karma plays a big role in Hinduism and faithful Hindus strive to live clean lives. In the LDS church, this is very similar. Mormons look to be pure in thought and deed. Both faiths put a big emphasis on service and doing good for one another. Both are also filled with very devout members who devote much of their lives to worship and serving God.  

Afterlife and Eternity 

Both in Hinduism and Mormonism, there is the idea of eternal life. After death, spirits must answer for the deeds in their life and are sent to either paradise/heaven or a spirit prison. This is where the faiths split, however. Hindus believe that spirits are reincarnated to a life in accordance with the deeds of their prior life (i.e. animals for an unclean life or prosperity and a good family for a good life). In Mormonism, we believe that we all are able to learn and grow in spirit paradise/prison and continue to be better before judgement day. We believe that we will have the opportunity to be resurrected and live forever in a kingdom of Heaven according to works on this earth. Hindus also believe in a state of eternal life with God after they have reached a state of completeness in mortality, as determined by Brahman.  

Temples

Temples play a big role in both Hinduism and Mormonism. This is where I have noticed probably the most similarities. Physically, both faiths put great care and attention into making temples beautiful. Both have distinct physical features. Both faiths also recognize the temple as the place where the highest ordinances and most sacred worship is performed. Both Hindus and Latter Day Saints recognize the temple as the house of God on earth. Both faiths believe also in the power of the home and that the home is a temple to God. Hindus often have a small physical temple or room in their homes and Latter Day Saints recognize the power of keeping the spirit of God in the home through picture and sound. 

I have loved learning about Hinduism and finding ways to relate my own faith to that of the people in a far distant land. It is fascinating how two religions with far different origins have so many similar characteristics. This to me is further affirmation that the work of God is throughout the earth, manifest in different ways in through different traditions unique to the people and land. I know that this work is continuing and will forever grow until all people know God and know of His gospel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment