Sunday, August 23, 2015

Palaces, Temples, Bare Feet and Selfies

What a weekend! I had a great time Saturday exploring Bangalore with a couple of fellow expats. We visited the Bangalore Palace, Cubbon Park and of course, Commercial Street (you can never shop too much). I am really finding out how interesting and unique the Indian culture is. There is a strong British influence in the buildings and design, with some Asian flare and a unique Indian vibe. It is fascinating to observe, you can see that influence in the pictures below.   


Sunday was also great. We visited a city about 60 miles outside of Bangalore, called Mysore. Mysore is known for its' palace. We visited the palace, as well as several Hindu Temples and monuments. We had a bit of a language barrier with our driver, as he spoke very limited English, so we weren't quite able to get to all of the places that we had hoped to. 

Bare feet. We weren't allowed to wear shoes inside of any of the temples or the palace. Ew. I understand and appreciate this is a sign of respect, but ew. It would be much better if there was some sort of covers to put on. My feet walking where thousands of other people have walked in the same day is not exactly my idea of sanitary or comfortable. 


Being there on Sunday, I really noticed how many people were visiting the temples. Once again, the Indian people have been an example to me of faithful service and worship. There were literally thousands of people at one of the places we went, and most were not there as tourists. The Hindu people take their religion very seriously and are devout in their worship. It was amazing to me and made me question whether I give the same amount to my Father in Heaven. I know that being a follower takes effort and the Hindu people really showed me what that effort looks like. 


Just a little side note to end on, the Indian people seem to be fascinated with white people. Several times yesterday we were asked to be in selfies and I caught a guy taking cell phone pictures of us during lunch. Throughout the day, we had many stares from vehicles next to us, etc. It is kind of fun to be treated like a celebrity. The group was trying to decide if we should make this a business venture and charge for the selfies. ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment