Sometimes you just have to be a bit spontaneous. On Thursday night, I was sitting at home, contemplating my weekend plans, or lack thereof. I decided that I needed to go somewhere and fast. I got on Air Asia's website and looked at direct flights from Bangalore on Saturday morning. I did a bit of googling and found out about a cool little island town in southwest India, called Fort Kochi, only an hour flight from Bangalore. Then, on Friday, I couldn't get it out of my head, so Friday afternoon, I booked a flight and found an inexpensive hotel in the heart of Fort Kochi for Saturday.
Fort Kochi lived up to the expectations I had. It was a gorgeous town, filled with charm and culture. I loved walking along the ocean and admiring the Chinese fishing nets which have been there for hundreds of years (pic below). I spent time exploring Fort Kochi's historical sites and just wandering the streets.
Sunday, I ventured out about 2 miles south, still on the island, to the neighboring town of Mattencherry. I may have gotten lost along the way, but thank goodness for GPS and my ability to look confident when I am completely clueless (something learned from all of my solo traveling). Also beautiful and charming, Mattencherry is home to a palace and one of the only Jewish Synogaues in India. Unfortunately, the synogaue was closed for a Jewish holiday, but the outside and the streets in the Jewish district are wonderfully charming.
Sunday afternoon, I was walking back from Mattencherry, trying to decide how to spend the rest of the day, since my flight wasn't until 10pm, when all of the sudden I saw several fellow pale skinned people standing a little ways away; as I got closer, I realized that it was four of my fellow expats who had just gotten in from an overnight houseboat tour nearby. They were planning to spend the afternoon in Fort Kochi, so I just tagged along and had a great time. It was so perfect that they were there at that time; I really enjoyed the company.
The island goes back hundreds of years as one of the first ports in western India. It has a strong Dutch and Jewish background and influence. The architecture is a fun mix between European and Indian.
So, there we have it; a spontaneous, unplanned, perfect weekend. I love being able to go on trips like this. Seeing a new place with limited pre-conceived notions is the perfect way to travel. For anyone spending time in India, I highly recommend Fort Kochi. It is a beautiful city. It is touristy, but not too much so. Definitely a gem in India.






Good for you getting out! that looks like a little piece of heaven.
ReplyDelete