Today, I had the opportunity to attend church services in a branch here in Bangalore. From all of my travels, I have found that the one constant is the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that when I visit different parts of the world, there will always be a network of church members, big or small. Here in Bangalore, there are 2 branches. The one I attended today consisted of probably about 60 members, many of them children. I noticed, contrary to other places I have visited church in, that the members were a bit hesitant to open their arms to a foreigner. I imagine that this is somewhat cultural, and with time, we will all be best friends. :)
When I decided to take the job opportunity and come here to Bangalore, I had a strong feeling that my purpose was not only job related. While I did not serve a full time mission, I know that I have a mission to fulfill as I travel the world. I had the same feeling while living in Belgium a few years ago. I know that my Heavenly Father is putting these opportunities in my life for a very important reason, one that I don't think I fully understand yet. My hope and prayer is that I can find those reasons that I am here and take full advantage of what I have been given.
Today, in sacrament meeting, a sister shared her thoughts on the blessings of the temple. In India, there is no LDS temple, the closest being all the way in Hong Kong. This sister shared her thoughts on being worthy to attend the temple and in preparing oneself spiritually as well as financially and temporally. It really made me think. In SLC, there are 4 temples, with several more just outside of the county. Within an hour's drive, I can attend any one of 10 temples. How well do I prepare and take the opportunity to serve in the house of The Lord? These 5 months in India will be the longest I have gone without visiting the temple in the 3.5 years since receiving my own endowment. I hope that the example of the faithful of India, many of whom may never get the opportunity to attend the temple, will inspire me to do and be better. This also brings a new appreciation to the church temple fund that allows families in places like here to attend the temple. The relief society in my ward back home has been working to raise money for some time for this cause, keep going girls! I see now how influential and important this is for many of our brothers and sisters.
All of this being said, the church is true! The gospel of Christ is spreading to the corners of the earth, and I am so blessed to be a part of it. If you would like to know more about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, please visit www.mormon.org.
No comments:
Post a Comment