Today I am grateful for Dutch speaking Belgium. Why, you ask? For the last month I have been living in Brussels. In Brussels, the main language is French. I don’t speak French. I do, however, speak German. Dutch and German are VERY similar languages, as such, I can understand Dutch somewhat. Responding doesn’t work so well, but at least I can understand things. Yesterday, Chris, Betsy, and I went to Brugge (which I will post more about later with pictures). Anyway, in Brugge the people speak Dutch. It was so nice to be able to get around and know my surroundings a bit more. :-) Chris is fluent in Dutch, so it was nice for him as well.
I find it interesting how only a one hour train ride, in the same country, and I am in a different language area, with such, a different culture. Europe is so diverse in such small space!
So, what is it like to live in a place with very limited knowledge of the language around you? Difficult. At times, I dread having to go to the store or order food. I hate not being able to communicate with the people here or making them speak my language. Before arriving in Brussels, I knew maybe ten words in French. The plan had been to study lots before I came, but school and work, and life, got in the way. I had studied, but not enough that anything really stuck. In the last month, however, I have come to be able to identify foods, understand metro announcements, read signs, and almost pronounce things correctly. I have learned to say “pardon” when people are in my way; “merci” when I receive assistance; “bonjour” or “bonsior” (even though they sound the same) to greet an acquaintance; ca va when all is well, and “Au Revior” when I depart. I have learned that Jambon is ham and many vegetables are nearly the same as English. I am starting to figure out numbers, though I am pretty sure that two and three sound the same. I don’t feel like I could carry on a conversation, nor hardly form a complete sentence, but I am getting there. I still have two and a half months to figure this out. :-D Much of what I know in Spanish is coming back to me now, French is quite similar in many aspects. I am having fun figuring the language out and am looking forward to learning more!!
No comments:
Post a Comment