Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Brussels: Home Sweet Home

Some days, I have to consciously tell myself that I really do live here, that this really is my life. It is crazy how much my life has changed so fast! I went from being a full time student working a retail job, living in a small town, to a professional in an international firm in a big city. I went from having road-rage as I drive everywhere to road-rage riding the tram everywhere. I went from a place where an old building is maybe 100 years old to whole neighborhoods 500-1000 years old. I went from being around many other people of my same standards to a world very different. I went from actually understanding people around me to learning the phrase, “parler vous Anglais?” I went from McDonalds, Pizza Hut, and Burger King everywhere I turn to McDonalds, Pizza Hut, and Burger King everywhere I go (ok, maybe that one hasn’t changed so much).


Brussels is a beautiful city! You may be asking yourself, Brussels? What is in Brussels? Even, where is Brussels? Don’t worry - I had to use a map when I applied for the job. I wasn’t sure what to think even when I got here, but the more time I spend, the more I have learned to love this place! Brussels has some really cool sites and some interesting ones, such as my favorite little statue, Mannekin Pis (translated: little boy peeing). Yep, he rocks. I love my weekend outings to downtown Brussels with my colleages and friends from Salt Lake, Chris and Betsy.We always seem to run into the most interesting things; aka, the changing of the outfit on the Mannekin Pis (basically a national event, military gun salute included), to meeting some Australian tourists (they were an interesting bunch), random concerts at Grand Place (town square), and always the crazy drunk high school kids.

I have really been able to get into a routine now; I am figuring things out, not getting lost quite so much, even figuring out how to get around on the metro (though I would love my car about now). I am making friends, getting into my groove at work, and overall loving life in Belgium! I promise, pictures will come as soon as I go somewhere with better internet. That is one thing I have learned since coming here; reliable internet is not so common as it is back in the states.

My friends rock!! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment