Saturday, October 22, 2011

Amsterdam Adventure!

This story is worth telling.

Last week, I went with Chris and Betsy to Amsterdam. We arrived late Friday night, after dark, and had to find our hotel. It took quite some time, a bit of looking straight ahead/down as we passed red lights, and trying not to inhale the marijuana stench. Amsterdam sure is an interesting city. We found the area where the hotel is, went down the street that we thought the hotel was on (Bloemenstraat), looked for #102. To our surprise/horror, #102 didn't exist. After some searching, wondering, and a bit of panic, we noticed that we were on Bloemenstraat. The street we wanted to be on was BloemenGRACHT. Whew. We backtracked and found the correct street, hotel included.

The main reason we wanted to go to Amsterdam was not for the partying (I know, that is hard to believe, I am such a partier.....), but for the Anne Frank house! What a fascinating, yet humbling experience!! I am really glad that we went. Normally, I hate paying to go to many sites, but this was ten euro well spent. :)

Chris convinced me to try the signature food of the area, the raw fish. That was an experience. Actually, it wasn't HORRIBLE.....

We spent Saturday night/Sunday in the Rotterdam area. Rotterdam feels like an American city, it was heavily bombed so it very new looking. We spent Sunday with a family that Chris knows from his mission! They were so great to take us in, feed us an amazing meal, and take us to Den Haag Temple.


Overall, the weekend in the Netherlands (Holland specifically) was great!!

No comments:

Post a Comment