Ever since the “Occupy” protests began, I have been wondering something; what do these people think they are planning to accomplish? At first it seemed like just another protest – one that would go on for a few days or week, then vanish just as protests tend to do. As time has gone on however, it appears as though these people are not planning on leaving any time soon. The protesters have given up everything in their lives; and why? I don’t quite understand how these people think that by becoming homeless, taking over public areas, and protesting things that they really don’t know as much about as they think they do, is going to change anything in our nation.
Like I said, I am the 98%. I am the hard-working, dedicated, patriotic American who is doing my best to make a life for myself as best as I can. I may not live in a million dollar home, drive a Mercedes, or shop at Prada. But I am also not camping out in the streets willingly, protesting the lives and the wealth that other people (and corporations) have made for themselves. I am not perfect. I have given up a lot to gain a college education and to make a life for myself. I have worked to put myself through school - from the bottom up, not making much money or doing the most glamorous work. I know that if I were jobless, I would be willing to take any job that came to me; whether it meant flipping burgers, delivering pizzas, or even watching kids. I take pride in my country and the freedoms that I have, through good and bad. The 98% is happy for what we have. We know that we live in a blessed land with many freedoms. We know that while we may not have everything, what we have is what we have worked for.
I understand that some laws and such may not be “fair”, but life itself isn’t fair; get over it. Like I said, by taking over public parks/areas, causing a disturbance in the peace and safety that Americans know and cherish, nothing is going to be accomplished. A word of advice to the occupy protesters. Get a job. Save your money. Work hard. Put yourself in a position where you can make the changes you wish to make. Work to elect leaders who will put the changes to action. To start, get off the streets and do something with your life. Camping out and protesting is never going to change anything.
It is time for the 98% to speak up.
No comments:
Post a Comment