A Day in my Life
Many students at the Jon M. Huntsman School of Business are very busy. Many work at full-time jobs, many have multiple jobs, and many own their own companies. So what is the average day like for a full-time student working a full-time job? I look back at the last few years and I have to ask a different question. What is the average day for a student without a job? At 16 years of age, I made the decision that I would support myself. I got a job working at a large retail store. I worked hard, took college classes, participated in foreign exchange, and lead service groups. At 17, I was promoted to department specialist. This gave me a lot of responsibility. I began finding my way around the ins and outs of running a large retail department, while finishing high school early and beginning my college education. After graduating, I moved to Logan. I bought a car. I really stretched my wings and learned to fly on my own. I began my studies as an International Business major at the Jon M. Huntsman School of Business. After my first semester, I had learned how to balance my time between 30+ hours a week at work and 15-18 credits a semester. After a semester, I also realized that I was not alone, I heard stories and talked to fellow students about their schedules, many of which were much crazier than my own.
Back to my question, what is an average day like for me? Well, I get up and go to work at 5 or 7 a.m. four days a week and have 9:30 class three days a week. I get done with work or school mid-afternoon, and have night classes on two days. On school days, I often go to work for the evening until 10p.m. Weekends aren’t breaks. Work all day, homework all night. 7 days a week. Many days, breaks don’t happen. Lunch breaks at work are spent doing homework. Time between classes is spent relaying messages or designing displays. Eating? Simultaneously achieved while driving or studying. I often dream about the project I need to do or the paper I am writing.
You may be asking yourself why someone would put him/herself through a crazy schedule like this. I can only answer with one word. Determination. This is something that I have learned throughout my life. I have been determined to be the best, to do the best work, to prove that I can do anything and to do everything that others may say I cannot do. The inner drive to succeed is what I believe makes a great business person. I have learned in my position at work that something can always be changed, can always be made better, and someone will always dislike or disapprove of something. I have always been taught that I should do the absolute best that I can do. Never give up, never quit. As one of my favorite quotes states, “You have not failed until you quit trying.” –Gordon B. Hinckley. Until I have achieved everything that I want-which will never happen, I will never give up. I am working to get my International Business degree and move on to bigger and better things. I want my life to be the best it can be. Through hard work and the education I am receiving, I will be able to do great things. This is something that I have found to be true for many students here at the Jon M. Huntsman School of Business, we are all striving to improve and be better people constantly.
No comments:
Post a Comment