Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Tales of the Independent Voter


What is a Democrat? What is a Republican? How can a person be classified into a superficial political affiliation? One of the great things about the American nation is the freedom to choose and to make informed decisions that can affect the nation for better or for worse. It appears, however, that Americans as a whole have made only one informed decision; the decision to allow a political party to tell them what to believe, who to believe, and who will be their leader.

As an independent thinker, I often wonder why and how Americans affiliate with a group that outlines a character and allows little deviation from politicians as well as the public. What do I believe? Who do I vote for? Why don’t I endorse a group? It’s simple really; I think for myself. On many topics, I lean conservative, on others, liberal, but in the majority of topics, my views are somewhere in between. I do my research, develop views, evaluate candidates, and make informed decisions. It cannot even fathom how an American citizen can identify themselves as being staunchly aligned with a single political party/framework. The answers do no lie to the right or to the left, the answers lie somewhere in the middle. This is why America needs to get back to.

Why is Washington in a political deadlock? Why can’t our nation seem to snap out of the high unemployment rates, the pending fiscal cliff, or the mounting deficit? The answer is simple; the political deadlock and the unwillingness for politicians to compromise, the very foundations upon which the nation has been founded has created and held onto the problems in our nation. How do we fix this? I wish the answer was as simple. My opinion? Release the entire congress, elect a new president, and refocus the political structure of the nation. We need to return to foundations or our constitution and recreate an America that works together. We need to once again become a nation that believes in liberty, in freedom, and in a united cause.

On this election night, I am proud to be an American. I am proud to live in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave. I however, am not proud to be part of a nation that has become so selfish and unwilling to compromise to create a better good for all. I hope that the newly elected officials and the politicians returning to our government can produce a turn around that will benefit all Americans.

1 comment:

  1. I was super bummed they have a straight ticket option. I don't think it should even exist.

    ReplyDelete